Thursday 28 January 2010

Songs of 2009- (2)

So here starts the 2nd part of my 2009 music review..

Gurus of Love: a short album with mainly 3 songs. Arnob's song "Naam Chilo Na" was a fantastic one on his part, also liked Habib bhai's new venture into a more alternative sound, it's these little projects when we get to hear his other side.

3rd person Singular Number OST- I really enjoyed this one. It's always fantastic to hear new songs by Leemon Bhai. But the 2 songs that really came to me were by Nancy. I personally think Habib Wahid and Prince Mahmud's best songs yet; were the 2 songs sung by Nancy in this album, "Didha" and "Ke je kaar" respectively. Strongly recommended these 2 tracks.
Jaago OST- produced Arnob- the soundtrack included many vocal collaborations including Milon Mahmud, Kona, Zohad, Kumar Bishwajit..but my picks are "Keno Chole Gele Duure" a soft song with a "rabindrik" approach; and "Pothe Cholte" by Rupam a lively happy-go-lucky song.





Another Bangla album I've favoured in 2009 is Shami feat 365, a folk song remake album featuring the vocals of Wakeel,Shaon and Deb. I've been used to hearing him in a different sound, so it was interesting to hear his outlook on fusing folk music. The radios favoured "Cholo Na Udashi" the most, but i enjoyed "Mon jaare chai" especially the flute solos.
Oh! and the cover was superrr nice.


My most favourite album in Bangla music in 2009 was Zaki Aman's "Aushadharon."
His home recorded "tomake bhebe lekha" has been a big part of my life since 2004 when I first heard it in my first year dorm room in Nottingham Uni from a fellow student. We later got introduced through mutual friends, and I like to think my perpetual requests and pleading played a role in getting him to Dhaka to record his solo album.
Zaki Aman has never been a professional musician, although he had a band when he lived in Dhaka many years ago. Thus his songwriting has been purely for himself. In terms of genres, he is a singer/songwriter, ie his lyrics play a major role in the entire song. But there's something about his melodies and lyrics, his mood is a "soft light evening" or "late night moon" mood; they hit a spot. Another thing about his music, is that, having been away from Bangladesh from so long, he hasn't been influenced by the Bangla Music around him (which sporadically happens with the rest of us actively in the scene), his exposure to Bangla Gaan is from the late 90's and so there's a touch of that in his songs.
But the highlight of his songs are his unique guitar plucking, which are the root of the songs. Many of us who had his accoustic home recorded demos may have a better grasp of knowing who he really is, a man and his guitar.
The album is an extended version of that; it is more like an MTV Unplugged album, he added little jazz piano solos, saxophones, light percussions, soft drums etc to his original formations. I was around on and off during recording, and to my biggest honour I was offered to play a small role, small humming in 2 of his songs. It was a beautiful experience in this day and age, to be such a big fan of someone, to actually Like them and befriend them in real life (very rare in our music scene), and to play a role in the songs I've been in love with..

Anyway coming back to the album:it wasn't perfect, It does have its flaws of course in mixing mainly; but those who work in studio's know how hard it is to make an album, but I must give ZA credit, coming from no musical production background he beautifully directed all the musicians to play their roles in their songs, and did a stellar job as a first time producer. I love them all, but here are my top favourites:

Gaangchil- a song he had written for his band back in the day, its a got a "band" vibe and i love the chorus.
"Hajar manusher majhe becheo, Eka.."- i think everyone in their lives has experience the emotions expressed in the lyrics of this song, very relatable song- as he looks at life from a loner's eyes.
Aushadharon- the title track (i hum throughout the melody)- the best sides of ZA, as a lover. He has a unique way of placing the loving words in a melancholy yet romantic tune.
Tomake Bhebe Lekha or (TVL as ZA likes to call it)- I think it's one of those songs I can never get tired of listening to. I tried my best to pochafy it, i heard the accoustic one a billion times in my dorm room, I heard the version Shanto Bhai sang in Fuad's Variation #25, i heard a 2nd accoustic version, I even sang in it (so had to hear it over and over during recording), I have videoed Zaki Bhai and watched it over and over, but here I am at 4am listening to it 5 years later, it is truly one of the best Love songs made by a Bangladeshi musician in my lifetime.

And those few seconds that I hum, at the end of the song, i feel like i am the "tumi" in tomake bhebe lekha....

yes I am his documented biggest fan :D and it feels wonderful to openly love someone's songs and still maintain that love after being friends with them in real life. Zaki Bhai, thanks for this gift.

Okay, that's it for part 2, more parts coming soon :-) all parties interested joining my regular mailing list, leave comments..blog soon ;-)

No comments:

Armeen Musa's Fan Box