Wednesday 24 February 2010

Our 2009

So the last few entries was about the music I was tripping to in 2009. Now a more personal post. This one is more about the things that we did in 2009. By "we" I mean, my band, The Grasshoppers, my family, my friends. We're all a huge bunch of musicians/artists/music lovers, who generally spend a majority of our times immersed in music.


In general, most of the people I'm very close to are creative people, so here's a little breakdown of some the things me and my family did in 2009.


My mom Dr Nashid Kamal, released an album different from her usual genre of Nazrul Geeti; a tribute to her aunt Ferdausi Rahman. The album consists of remakes of Ferdausi Rahman's classic film and modern songs.


Along with this album my great aunt's classical album was released jointly. I sadly missed the grand release they had, held by Laser Vision. But I heard it was beautiful; my grandfather was the chief guest and they had emotional speeches etc.
2009 was also the year my bro's (LABIK KAMAL GOURAB) album "Paar Koro" released from BMC.

I think Bhaiya is one of the few "world" artists in Bangladesh, who took the time out to actually get to know the actual traditional arrangement of Baul music and make an album out of it. Arranged by himself, this album Paar Koro was a collection of a variety of folk songs; Labik Kamal plays khamak, dotara and features various artists: Jalaal on flute, ALmas on violin, Nazrul on Dhol, Buno and Resalat on bass;etc. The entire album is fully Eastern Traditionally arranged except for the last track "Asha Jawa" a last minute collaboration with Arnob. I think it kind of symbolises, where Bhaiya started, at the basics, learning khamak and dotara, to where he is going now- anywhere and everywhere.

The launching was held at Bengal Gallery, and was an awesome launch.

There are 2 AWESOME music videos by Shampa Afroz Shumu, of which I'm in one as a background person hehe.. Check them out:

Manush Bhojhle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-GKnw0mtM


Paar Koro (Title): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5Gn2MVVPg


Bhaiya also got his first show as a traditional folk singer at Bengal Gallery, a prestigious affair, followed by the songs of Kiran Chandra Rai. Here are some shots of the jampacked show that took place early 2009:


So 2009 was the year I graduated, and needed to decide what to do next. I had taken a small course in Shantiniketon and was enjoying this time away from life. I think it was over these times spent alone, I found out that I was only happy when I was involved in music somehow or the other (which was not completely possible in my University life in Nottingham.) I think I'm trying to make the transition to balance my obligations, my dreams, and my happiness right now. Anyway here are some random things I did in 2009.

A very old jam session with Rajib Bhai (Double R) in NY suddenly resulted in a song for Rajib Bhai's mixed album "Adho Megh" called "AhoBaane." I hadn't a clue about this release till the day off, but turned out pretty cool. The other songs on this album are pretty cool, I was thrilled to see Oni singing again, always enjoy her voice.

in 2009, i also had a blast making a new electronic project called ara, but details of that will come later on.

But 2009 was the year I moved back to dhaka after 5 years, and it felt great. Our live shows are a blast, the audience is amazing, and I feel alive to be performing regularly.

THE GRASSHOPPERS: ADIL, AMIT, BART, AASHNA
Here are some random shots of performing in 2009:
Our first gig at IC, with Guest Upol Islam on keyboards.

Christmas Gig at Floor 6 with Saif Q from Groovetrap :D

It's been a weird year 2009; I moved from my quiet home in Shantiniketon to the bustling Dhaka, started my life as professional musician, watched my life change from a bekaar student life to a busy struggling artist lol. But so far, so amazing...

Till next time bloggers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

clomid ttc | clomid buy uk - buy clomid for men, clomid side effects on baby

Anonymous said...

signs that clomid is working | [url=http://ordergenericclomid.webs.com/#54257]clomid purchase online[/url] - do you need a prescription for clomid, rsss clomid success stories first round

Armeen Musa's Fan Box