Monday 30 June 2008

Didn't get to Heaven but made it Close

June 23rd 2008- was one out of this world day for me and my sister.

The place: largest venue in NYC- Madison Square Garden
The show: Coldplay's 3rd and last free show celebrating the release of their 4th album Viva La Vida or Death and All his Friends.


It all started back in April/May when they announced their free shows, we signed up immediately.
Imagine our disappointment when we didn't win, even then we were ready to travel to see them. So we were looking at shows in surrounding cities, when they postponed them. (They needed more time to be ready for the tour). That was devastating as I would be in Bangladesh by then.

The day of the show, me and my sister were wary of whether we would get tickets, but still, we dressed our best and went. There was a group of people selling tickets discreetly, but at extremely high prices for bad seats, and I was really dodged about whether they were real or not. After waiting around for almost 2 hours, we decided to haggle and just go for it. The ticket was a birthday gift from my sister, and it was my decision, to take the risk of loosing our fortnight's food money on Coldplay. After all it's my most favourite band in the world. Our hearts were beating as they scanned in our "not so free" ticket to the free concert, and... YES they were real, we were IN!

We loaded up on goodies and headed in to our seats. Guess what they were, the furthest sections' last row's seats of the whole venue! But we had a great direct view of the stage. So we watched the opening band and another DJ (opening Man, we call him), but not concentrating at all. The Hall light came on to set the stage for Coldplay.

Then suddenly everything went dark. And we could hear "Life in Technicolour."




We stood up in awe watching the light boom on as the incredible band started the journey. I bet with my sister that the next would be Violet Hill, and I was right! As before the 2 times I've seen them live, (Jan'03 -Ottawa- Rush of Blood to the Head Tour and August 03- Cheltenham- V Festival- yes I know lucky lucky me!)
I could not speak, could not sing- was in the state of speechlessness. Even in the front row at the V Festival in 03 amongst the headbangers, I had just stood there like a statue taking them in.

This time was slightly different, as I watched in absolute awe and disbelief that I was in the same room as Coldplay and they were playing for us, I was far away enough to sway like a madman.

Imagine our surprise when they played "Clocks" next. They had a lovely set, playing songs from Parachutes, Rush of Blood to the Head, X&Y and the new one. I was delighted! I had never heard the X&Y album live before, it was Splendid. I guess I connected to them slightly better as I had been listening for a year (Fix you and Square One.)

Then came my first favourite "Trouble"- I guess you never really get over the first song you fell in love with. I was 15/16 when I heard it and listened to it on repeat before exploring the rest of Parachutes.

For Viva La Vida, that song is "Lost" -the lyrics of which have really called out to me, which they played right after Trouble and it was Amazing!

Although I don't like to judge the artists themselves too much, who could not be absolutely in love with the band's down to earth but lovely way of speaking to the audience. Very sharply dressed, no airs, but like friends, or maybe even nervous performers they chatted away with the audience. And their little stunts were Stunning. They had 3 stages, 1st being the main stage, 2nd being a small one in the Front rows.

And the 3rd was past of the GREAT stunt they pulled. Apparently it was the first time they did this: they just walked up the floors to the 2md last section (just 1 section below us) in the passageway and started singing! ( we obviously jumped out of seats and ran down to see them)



Their drummer sang a cute little song in the passageway, different to their usual style, but I liked the stunt!

The show didn't get the best of reviews, and I admit they were a tad shaky with the new material, but that's live music! It's the mess ups and human error that makes it alive.

I guess words won't really describe how I felt, but it was great: all the songs, Strawberry Swing, Viva La Vida, Lovers in Japan ending the show with Reign of Love.

They didn't encore which was quite sad, and a bunch of us fans were just clapping and clapping till we realised that the equipment was being packed up!

I read later, not to my surprise, many stars were in the audience, Kirsten Dunst, Charlize Theron etc. What did surprise me was how polite the American crowd was (of all ages, ethnicities etc!) Me and A were amazed at their calm and self control, others shows we've seen always have a Huge mosh pit and crazed screaming fans, but the NYC crowd I assume were stunned and speechless like me :-)

Song list:
Life in technicolor
Violet hill
Clocks
In my place
Viva la vida
Chinese Sleep Chant
god put a smile upon your face
42
square one
trouble
lost!
strawberry swing
yellow
Death Will Never Conquer
fix you
lovers in japan
reign of love



They really are breathtaking and inspiring, with so much energy in their songs and their movement. I'm already bidding on tickets for next year!
Thanks to my sister for the incredible early birthday gift!!

Peace and Love,
Armeen

(Photos of the Stage by me, rest- collected from the Internet)

1 comment:

Kobial said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Armeen Musa's Fan Box